Garage – Collective Platform for Independent Artist is an NGO which works in the field of choreography and dance. The organization, legally based in Bulgaria, operates on an international level and is run by principles of collective authorship.
Garage Collective was founded in 2011 by Aleksandar Georgiev, Zhana Pencheva, Denitsa Dikova, Irena Tsvetanova and Nikolina Todorova. Throughout its history, the organization was mainly used as a financial structure for the collective and individual artistic projects of its founders.
In 2018, Garage Collective took a turn in its modus operandi, becoming the legal infrastructure through which the artistic projects of the artists team STEAM ROOM and the project institution ICC (Imaginative Choreographic Center) are run. (The activity of ICC and STEAM ROOM is initiated and realized by Aleksandar Georgiev, Zhana Pencheva and Darío Barreto Damas).
Currently the members of Garage Collective are Aleksandar Georgiev, Zhana Pencheva and Darío Barreto Damas.
Garage Collective contributes to:
- The creation of new artistic projects and practices.
- The development of critical-reflective thinking.
- The creation of new modes of relation between audience-art-artist.
- The broadening of the field of choreography and dance.
- To develop and promote the field of choreography and dance.
- To promote the integration of Bulgarian scene into an international context and vice versa: working through denationalized politics, aiming for a complex and fruitful cooperation and coexistence, and building active and transparent partnerships with national, European and international organizations and institutions.
- To promote work regulation and rights in the field of choreography and dance.
- To work for the benefit of young and established freelance artists.
- To develop and involve audiences.
2020 / onwards –ICC (Imaginative Choreographic Center). For more information please click here.
2019 –Six Love Songs – choreographic concert. Artistic work by Zhanna Pencheva and Tsvetan Momchilov. Nominated for IKAR Awards 2020 (by the union of Bulgarian actors), in the category of Contemporary Dance and Performance.
2018 / onwards – STEAM ROOM. For more information about STEAM ROOM please click here and about their work click here.
2019 / 2020 – HOT Room for Audiences. A program which seeked to stimulate artists from contemporary dance, choreography and performance to practice articulating their own artistic practices to a wider audience, so a regular critical dialogue between the two could be established.
2018 – MOONLIGHT. Choreographic work by Aleksandar Georgiev and Darío Barreto Damas. Nominated for IKAR Awards 2019 (by the union of Bulgarian actors), in the category Contemporary Dance and Performance.
2016 – Celebrate it! Choreographic work by Aleksandar Georgiev and Zhana Pencheva in collaboration with the Social Center Burgas and with the participation of people with special needs and abilities.
2015 – NEON. Choreographic work by Aleksandar Georgiev, Zhana Pencheva and Irena Tsvetanova. Nominated for IKAR Awards 20216 (by the union of Bulgarian actors), in the category Contemporary Dance and Performance.
Always Limonada (2014), Concerto for three bodies (2012), If you don’t have a masterpiece, do something else (2012), and Episode IV – reflections in your free time (2011)